Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I'm an Iron Cupcaker!

Finally made it to my first Iron Cupcake Challenge with my entry of Zen Peach




This entry was for Iron Cupcake Milwaukee's July Challenge of Vegan/Gluten-Free

Having done a lot of baking but never vegan or gluten-free, I of course did my research. My local library helped by having some great references for me to borrow. I check out Sinfully Vegan by Lois Dieterly, Gluten-Free Baking by Rebecca Reilly and Great Gluten-Free Baking by Louise Blair. These were good starting points for me to figure out how to convert into gluten-free baking. I opted to not move into vegan once I found out my friend Mina has celiac disease and was "bored" with her options of dietary choices. So this recipe challenge was for Mina.

My muse for the cupcake was the shipment of fresh peaches that were front and center in the store. I knew I wanted to use them in the cupcake. My first attempt at the cupcake portion was a success. I knew it was flavorful and moist with a good crumb. My taste testers, DH and friends all liked the cuppy. One important thing I learned with the "alternate" flours was to cream the butter before adding the flour mixture and cream it more before adding the liquids.

The first attempt at frosting however didn't go well. It was an attempt at a boiled sugar buttercream using fresh peach puree to flavor. The syrup cooked well, got up to a soft ball stage, washed down the crystals and everything was going well. While pouring the syrup slowly into my trusty Kitchenaide mixer I evidently poured a bit too fast and ended up with sugar lump on the bottom of the mixer and a lot of syrup dots all over the sides of the mixer. Once the peach puree was added the frosting was too soft, more of a glaze than the light fluffy frosting it was supposed to be. My taste testers liked the taste but not with the cuppys. Too much peach in the frosting overpowering the delicate peach in the cupcake.

So back to the drawing board for the frosting. Listening to my testors, I toyed with the idea of cream cheese frosting with spice. Something to compliment the peaches. Looking at my favorite peach recipes, the two main spices were ginger and cinnamon. So I thought about the fresh ginger in the fridge and the three varieties of cinnmon in my spice drawer. I wanted the frosting to compliment not overpower the peach flavor. Wanted layers of flavors to come out as you smell, eat and savour them.

The fresh grated ginger and cinnamon was added into the beaten butter and cream cheese in the beginning instead of at the end. My thought that was whipping it in the beginning would allow it to flavor in undertones instead of being an overpowering after flavor. Then finished off the frosting with the required powdered sugar, vanilla and almond. The frosting was a hit!

So I met some new friends in Milwaukee, thanks again to my cheering section in the back corner! I appreciate the support to a new entrant.

Tricia

No comments:

Post a Comment